List of Hardcoded Changes
This page lists the non-toggleable changes in Newmod. Some minor changes have been omitted.
- Removed ugly scanlines effect from scope, making it much easier to see clearly in scope.
- Removed crosshair pulsing effect when picking up items.
- Simple HUD (
cg_hudFiles) now shows weapon name (e.g. "PISTOL") instead of useless ammo amount for weapons with unlimited ammo.
- Better fonts are now used for some HUD elements, e.g. timer and FPS counter.
- Anything with a visible health bar now displays HP percentage while aiming at it.
- Hack timers now display number of remaining seconds.
- Siege techs can now see teammates' armor bars when looking at them.
- Siege techs looking at teammates now see health/armor/ammo bars with absolute sizing (e.g. 50/50 health and 100/100 health look different).
- Siege classes with 0 max armor no longer show a useless 0 armor amount.
- Active force power icons now display even while scoped.
- Removed force power display if you don't have any force powers (e.g. siege gunner classes).
- A health bar now shows while using emplaced guns (like eweb).
- Your crosshair no longer increases in size when piloting a vehicle.
- When dying in siege, you are no longer briefly forced to view the scoreboard.
- When someone calls a vote, the vote text is now displayed in the console, e.g.: Padawan called a vote: Restart Map (3)
- Third-person alpha for force power shaders (protect, etc) now matches value from the Third-Person Alpha cvar (
- Force sense now uses more saturated colors for improved visibility.
- Removed many annoying weapon shaking effects, as well as the horde of related cvars (
- Added a new 2D icon for siege ammo canisters for users who enable the Simple Items cvar (
cg_simpleItems); base JKA just used the rocket ammo icon.
- Portable shields now use a new transparent shader for improved visibility.
- Removed ugly base JKA flickering effect from electrocution.
- The base JKA scoreboard has been completely remade with a more minimal style.
- The scoreboard now supports up to 32 players (increased from 20).
- The lag icon shows next to a player's name if he has 999+ ping.
- You can now see scoreboard data any time while watching a demo; you don't need to wait until the person recording the demo opened their scoreboard or died.
- Removed annoying popup boxes from end of Siege round ("We are victorious!" etc); these messages are now integrated directly into the scoreboard.
- Removed bots from player count and changed bot ping to "BOT" text in grey color.
- During siege countdown, players are now properly listed under their chosen teams instead being treated like spectators.
- Simple win/lose messages clearly indicate match result in Siege; no more ambiguous/inconsistent "team 1" and "team 2."
- Erroneous "team 2 won the match!" message in Siege when both teams were held for maximum time replaced with "the match ended in a draw!" (requires compatible server mod such as base_entranced).
- JKChat users are now displayed on the scoreboard with a special icon.
- Replaced the Profile button in the main menu with a new Reconnect button, which automatically remembers your previous server and password.
- Replaced the in-game "about" menu with a lightweight server browser for quickly connecting to your favorite servers.
- Added a "filter" textbox to the demos menu for searching for particular demo names.
- Added folder-browsing system for demos menu.
- Added mini class selection menu to ingame top bar menu in Siege on compatible servers.
- Added extra options for force power configuration to the force powers menu.
- You now see how many players are connected to a server on the loading screen.
- Simplified loading screen messages (e.g. just write "assets" instead of listing every weapon name).
- Added borderless windowed mode to setup menu (requires compatible executable).
- Added many modern resolutions (1080p, 1440p, 4K, ultrawide, etc) to setup menu.
- Added a button on the server list to toggle hiding of Movie Battles servers.
- Troll/advertisement servers are automatically hidden from the server list.
- Fixed force powers menu initialization and applying changes when exiting out without pressing apply.
- Siege classes now display starting health/armor separately from maximum health/armor.
- Enabled "air support" in voice chat menu.
- Intro videos are now automatically skipped.
- While connected to a base_entranced siege server, siege class information displayed in the "Join" menu now displays accurate data sent from the server.
- On compatible (base_enhanced) servers, a new tab has been added to the Call Vote menu, allowing easy access to new votes, e.g. Coin Toss, Reset Flags, etc.
- Numerous miscellaneous UI improvements.
- Improved FPS by optimizing the code in several places.
- On servers that do not explicitly enable unlocked net settings, the Max Packets cvar (
cl_maxPackets) is forced to 100 and the "Time Nudge cvar (
cl_timeNudge) is limited to values between -30 and 30.
- You can now type the Euro symbol € in the chat. This replaces the useless/troll "WSI FONTS" character.
- Added "supercharge" sound+graphic for very long disruptor charge in Siege. (Disruptor was always able to charge for 5 seconds for super damage in Siege, but there was no visual/audio indication of this to the user beyond the standard 1.5 seconds charge effects.)
- You can press your "Force Seeing" (
force_seeing) bind to toggle seeing players through walls as a spectator.
- Added unique obituary messages for concussion rifle, crush, and detpack kills (was obliterated by, was crushed by, was detpacked by).
- Added support for custom obituary messages (requires compatible server mod).
- Added prediction for all saber styles being able to kick/backflip on compatible servers, such as base_enhanced/base_entranced.
weapon 12commands now cycle through explosives similar to the
weapon 10command, but start the cycling on mines and detpacks, respectively.
- Increased minimum FOV to 80 and maximum FOV to 160.
- Added missing blue/red Jawa skins (all credits go to Radiuks for these - thank you!).
- Bowcaster now uses correct alternate fire sound effect.
- You can now hear other players' stun baton hum sounds.
- Siege countdown text now displays which round you are in.
- "You won/lost the match" sounds now play for all team gametypes.
- Changed default setting of
- Added support for levelshots of various aspect ratios, e.g.
- Fixed several base JKA bugs relating to homing rockets.
- On compatible (base_enhanced) servers, the homing rocket HUD is now properly synchronized with the server, and is now 100% accurate. If you see/hear that you have locked onto a target, you can trust that your rocket is 100% guaranteed to home toward the target.
- On NON-supporting servers, the homing rocket HUD is now much more accurate (though not 100% accurate).
- You now automatically reconnect upon getting kicked by a reliable commands error.
- Greatly reduced unnecessary use of internal cvars, which should help eliminate the MAX_CVARS crash.
- Fixed double crosshair bug in non-siege gametypes.
- Fixed the "ghost corpses" bug which allowed invisible corpses to block shots and detonate projectiles.
- Fixed dynamic crosshair sticking to your own rockets.
- Fixed the "phantom saber hum" bug, where you could occasionally hear saber hum sounds from dead players.
- Fixed a base JKA behavior where your own vchat sounds would be stopped by jumping or rolling, despite other players being able to still hear it.
- Fixed disappearing health bar when rocketing destructable objects.
- Fixed bug with seeing your own eweb's health bar.
- Fixed bug causing you to change weapons upon spawning (particularly in siege).
- Fixed stretching of crosshair, HUD images, and some text on non-4:3 screen resolutions.
- Fixed siege techs seeing useless ammo bar when looking at teammates holding non-ammo-consuming weapons (lightsaber, melee, etc).
- Fixed bug with not hearing final objective complete sounds for base siege maps.
- Fixed EOF error when having a lot of custom siege maps installed.
- Fixed shaky dynamic crosshair in third-person view.
- Fixed improper prediction causing lag when moving next to emplaced guns or shields.
- Fixed specs not seeing health bars or hearing/seeing objective complete notifications.
- Fixed not being able to see player names while scoped.
- Fixed radar not showing while dead or following someone in spec.
- Fixed bugged displaying of teamvotes.
- Fixed crash when speccing a dead siege player.
- Fixed bug causing certain siege player models not to be precached at match start.
- Fixed spectators not being able to see map restart countdown.
- Fixed bug where obituaries were hidden if the dying player's name began with an asterisk.
- Fixed incorrect prediction of infinite charge bug.
- Fixed text in server info popup box getting cut off.
- Fixed low resolution of siege class icons when displayed at a small size (e.g. scoreboard).
- Fixed some base JKA bugs where parts of character models were invisible at certain angles.
- Fixed the base JKA "ghost corpses" bug which allowed invisible corpses to block shots and detonate projectiles.
- Fixed inaccurate third-person camera when riding animal vehicles.
- Fixed not being able to hear concussion rifle firing sounds in first-person view.
- Fixed improper alignment of base JKA crosshair #6.
- Fixed laggy movement near emplaced guns.
- Fixed weapon spawns sometimes flickering upon pickup.
- Fixed NPCs having choppy/laggy movement.
- Numerous miscellaneous crash and bug fixes.
Some improvements can only be achieved by modifying the JKA executable, jamp.exe. For the vanilla executable, Newmod "hooks" into memory to implement these improvements. They are also found in our custom improved executable, NewJK.
These features are only available on the vanilla executable and NewJK; we do not advise using other executable projects (such as OpenJK or JAMME) with Newmod, as you will not get most of these features.
- Significantly reduced input lag for all key presses and mouse movements.
- Enabled scrolling in console with mouse wheel.
- CD check bypass allows playing non-Steam JKA without the disc inserted.
- Enter can now auto-complete commands from the main menus, instead of just from in-game.
- Unrecognized console commands are no longer sent as chat messages.
- Greatly increased the amount of text that can be stored in the console when you scroll up.
- Fixed lag when taking your first screenshot of the session.
screenshotcommand without argument uses timestamp for filename instead of base JKA numbering system.
screenshotcommand no longer requires quotation marks for custom filenames containing spaces.
- Server passwords are remembered and get automatically set when you connect to a server.
- Extended valid range of
cl_timeNudgeto allow values between -1000 and 1000. Negative values are automatically corrected to zero while spectating or following someone.
- Extended valid range of
cl_maxPacketsto allow values between -20 and 1000.
- Added help messages for cvars and commands.
- Removed ugly "RECORDING xyz.dm_26" text when recording a demo.
- Added support for orange and grey colors with color codes
democommand no longer requires quotation marks for filenames containing spaces.
- Removed ugly white box flash from some explosion effects.
- Added support for multiple master servers.
- Added ability to offset y-axis of console text feed, which Newmod automatically uses for spectator overlay.
- Fixed some duplicate effects bugs (e.g. seeing seven repeater shots when you only clicked once).
- Fixed jittery, ugly appearance of text at small font sizes.
- Fixed not seeing disruptor shots or tripmine lasers if they originated behind you.
- Fixed some siege textures not producing proper footstep effects.
echocommand not properly preserving colors between spaces.
- Fixed crash when starting local server with widescreen resolution.
- Fixed crash when looking at Ragnos NPC.
- Fixed broken rendering with invalid primitives.
- Fixed connection hijack exploit on malicious servers.
- Fixed rendering of transparent colored/shadowed text.
- Fixed pressing Esc during demo playback causing you to exit to the main menu.
- Malicious servers are prevented from forcing invalid/troll cvars on your client.
- The server list no longer considers colors and non-alphanumeric characters for sorting by name.
- Removed some annoying debug messages that would occasionally pop up on screen while playing.
- Removed the large amount of base JKA console spam that was printed in between maps.
- You can now pause demo playback by setting the Time Scale cvar (
- You can now type percent signs and quotation marks into chat.
- The chat box is now limited to the actual maximum number of characters that servers will accept (149 digits). As you approach the maximum, it will display the number of remaining available digits.
- Fixed userinfo cvars not updating while the menus are open (e.g. typing
model reelowith menu open).
- Disabled cinematics.
- Fixed bugs with typing accented/special letters in non-English keyboards.
- Fixed bugs relating to seeing and sniping extremely distant players, particularly in CTF.
- NewJK executable only: You can now bind key combinations using an Alt / Ctrl / Shift modifier key. For example,
bind ctrl+x killwill make Ctrl + X perform
- NewJK executable only: You can now bind the right-side Alt / Ctrl / Shift keys separately from the left-side keys. For example,
bind rctrl killwill make the right-side Ctrl key perform
kill. Don't worry, your existing configuration is still 100% compatible — if no binding is specifically set for the right-side key, then the generic binding is used. The left-side key always uses the generic binding.
- NewJK executable only: fixed mouse getting stuck in the center of your screen when minimizing JKA immediately after startup.
- NewJK executable only: you can now play on JKA version 1.0.0 servers.
- NewJK executable only: you can now play on "pure" servers regardless of your mods by using the new Pure Bypass cvar (
- NewJK executable only: Nested quotation marks are now supported in commands and binds, allowing for easier and more robust configuration. This allows entering commands like
bind a "bind b "set c "d ; e" ; say "hello there"""
- NewJK executable only: fixed laggy/buggy behavior and "Connection Interrupted" when playing with high latency with a high Max FPS (
- NewJK executable only: Fixed sounds bugging out and looping during "Server is changing maps".
- NewJK executable only: Increased the limit for gamma (
r_gamma) from 3 to 10.
- NewJK executable only: Improved how sounds are handled while minimized. Sounds are now allowed to freely start, progress, and finish while minimized; they are simply inaudible. No more minimizing during a sound and then hearing the rest of it when you maximize five minutes later.
- NewJK executable only: Added new Delay/Wait Freely commands (
waitf), which are enhanced versions of the base JKA