List of Hardcoded Changes
This page lists the non-toggleable changes in Newmod. Some minor changes have been omitted.
- Removed ugly scanlines effect from scope, making it much easier to see clearly in scope.
- Removed crosshair pulsing effect when picking up items.
- Simple HUD (
cg_hudFiles) now shows weapon name (e.g. "PISTOL") instead of useless ammo amount for weapons with unlimited ammo.
- Better fonts are now used for some HUD elements, e.g. timer and FPS counter.
- Anything with a visible health bar now displays HP percentage while aiming at it.
- Hack timers now display number of remaining seconds.
- Siege techs can now see teammates' armor bars when looking at them.
- Siege techs looking at teammates now see health/armor/ammo bars with absolute sizing (e.g. 50/50 health and 100/100 health look different).
- Siege classes with 0 max armor no longer show a useless 0 armor amount.
- Active force power icons now display even while scoped.
- Removed force power display if you don't have any force powers (e.g. siege gunner classes).
- A health bar now shows while using emplaced guns (like eweb).
- Your crosshair no longer increases in size when piloting a vehicle.
- When dying in siege, you are no longer briefly forced to view the scoreboard.
- Third-person alpha for force power shaders (protect, etc) now matches value from the "Third Person Alpha" cvar (
- Force sense now uses more saturated colors for improved visibility.
- Removed many annoying weapon shaking effects, as well as the horde of related cvars (
- Added a new 2D icon for siege ammo canisters for users who enable the "Simple Items" cvar (
cg_simpleItems); base JKA just used the rocket ammo icon.
- Portable shields now use a new transparent shader for improved visibility.
- Removed ugly base JKA flickering effect from electrocution.
- The base JKA scoreboard has been completely remade with a more minimal style.
- The lag icon shows next to a player's name if he has 999+ ping.
- Removed annoying popup boxes from end of Siege round ("We are victorious!" etc); these messages are now integrated directly into the scoreboard.
- Removed bots from player count and changed bot ping to "BOT" text in grey color.
- During siege countdown, players are now properly listed under their chosen teams instead being treated like spectators.
- Simple win/lose messages clearly indicate match result in Siege; no more ambiguous/inconsistent "team 1" and "team 2."
- Erroneous "team 2 won the match!" message in Siege when both teams were held for maximum time replaced with "the match ended in a draw!" (requires compatible server mod such as base_entranced).
- Replaced the Profile button in the main menu with a new Reconnect button, which automatically remembers your previous server and password.
- Replaced the in-game "about" menu with a lightweight server browser for quickly connecting to your favorite servers.
- Added a "filter" textbox to the demos menu for searching for particular demo names.
- Added folder-browsing system for demos menu.
- Added mini class selection menu to ingame top bar menu in Siege on compatible servers.
- You now see how many players are connected to a server on the loading screen.
- Simplified loading screen messages (e.g. just write "assets" instead of listing every weapon name).
- Added borderless windowed mode to setup menu (requires compatible executable).
- Added many modern resolutions (1080p, 1440p, 4K, ultrawide, etc) to setup menu.
- Added a button on the server list to toggle hiding of Movie Battles servers.
- Troll/advertisement servers are automatically hidden from the server list.
- Fixed force powers menu initialization and applying changes when exiting out without pressing apply.
- Siege classes now display starting health/armor separately from maximum health/armor.
- Enabled "air support" in voice chat menu.
- Intro videos are now automatically skipped.
- Numerous miscellaneous UI improvements.
- Improved FPS by optimizing the code in several places.
- On servers that do not explicitly enable unlocked net settings, the "Max Packets" cvar (
cl_maxPackets) is forced to 100 and the "Time Nudge" cvar (
cl_timeNudge) is limited to values between -30 and 30.
- Added "supercharge" sound+graphic for very long disruptor charge in Siege. (Disruptor was always able to charge for 5 seconds for super damage in Siege, but there was no visual/audio indication of this to the user beyond the standard 1.5 seconds charge effects.)
- You can press your "Force Seeing" (
force_seeing) bind to toggle seeing players through walls as a spectator.
- Added unique obituary messages for concussion rifle, crush, and detpack kills (was obliterated by, was crushed by, was detpacked by).
- Added support for custom obituary messages (requires compatible server mod).
- Added prediction for all saber styles being able to kick/backflip on compatible servers, such as base_enhanced/base_entranced.
weapon 12commands now cycle through explosives similar to the
weapon 10command, but start the cycling on mines and detpacks, respectively.
- Increased minimum FOV to 80 and maximum FOV to 160.
- Added missing blue/red Jawa skins (all credits go to Radiuks for these - thank you!).
- Bowcaster now uses correct alternate fire sound effect.
- You can now hear other players' stun baton hum sounds.
- Siege countdown text now displays which round you are in.
- "You won/lost the match" sounds now play for all team gametypes.
- Changed default setting of
- Added support for levelshots of various aspect ratios, e.g.
- Greatly reduced unnecessary use of internal cvars, which should help eliminate the MAX_CVARS crash.
- Fixed double crosshair bug in non-siege gametypes.
- Fixed the "ghost corpses" bug which allowed invisible corpses to block shots and detonate projectiles.
- Fixed dynamic crosshair sticking to your own rockets.
- Fixed disappearing health bar when rocketing destructable objects.
- Fixed bug with seeing your own eweb's health bar.
- Fixed bug causing you to change weapons upon spawning (particularly in siege).
- Fixed stretching of crosshair, HUD images, and some text on non-4:3 screen resolutions.
- Fixed siege techs seeing useless ammo bar when looking at teammates holding non-ammo-consuming weapons (lightsaber, melee, etc).
- Fixed bug with not hearing final objective complete sounds for base siege maps.
- Fixed EOF error when having a lot of custom siege maps installed.
- Fixed shaky dynamic crosshair in third-person view.
- Fixed improper prediction causing lag when moving next to emplaced guns or shields.
- Fixed specs not seeing health bars or hearing/seeing objective complete notifications.
- Fixed not being able to see player names while scoped.
- Fixed radar not showing while dead or following someone in spec.
- Fixed bugged displaying of teamvotes.
- Fixed crash when speccing a dead siege player.
- Fixed bug causing certain siege player models not to be precached at match start.
- Fixed spectators not being able to see map restart countdown.
- Fixed bug where obituaries were hidden if the dying player's name began with an asterisk.
- Fixed incorrect prediction of infinite charge bug.
- Fixed text in server info popup box getting cut off.
- Fixed low resolution of siege class icons when displayed at a small size (e.g. scoreboard).
- Fixed some base JKA bugs where parts of character models were invisible at certain angles.
- Fixed the base JKA "ghost corpses" bug which allowed invisible corpses to block shots and detonate projectiles.
- Fixed inaccurate third-person camera when riding animal vehicles.
- Fixed not being able to hear concussion rifle firing sounds in first-person view.
- Fixed improper alignment of base JKA crosshair #6.
- Numerous miscellaneous crash and bug fixes.
Some improvements can only be achieved by modifying the JKA executable, jamp.exe. For the vanilla executable, Newmod "hooks" into the executable to implement these improvements. They are also found in our custom improved executable, NewJK.
These features are only available on the vanilla executable and NewJK; we do not advise using other executable projects (such as OpenJK or JAMME) with Newmod, as you will not get most of these features.
- Significantly reduced input lag for all key presses and mouse movements.
- Enabled scrolling in console with mouse wheel.
- CD check bypass allows playing non-Steam JKA without the disc inserted.
- Enter can now auto-complete commands from the main menus, instead of just from in-game.
- Unrecognized console commands are no longer sent as chat messages.
- Greatly increased the amount of text that can be stored in the console when you scroll up.
- Fixed lag when taking your first screenshot of the session.
screenshotcommand without argument uses timestamp for filename instead of base JKA numbering system.
screenshotcommand no longer requires quotation marks for custom filenames containing spaces.
- Server passwords are remembered and get automatically set when you connect to a server.
- Extended valid range of
cl_timeNudgeto allow values between -1000 and 1000. Negative values are automatically corrected to zero while spectating or following someone.
- Extended valid range of
cl_maxPacketsto allow values between -20 and 1000.
- Added help messages for cvars and commands.
- Removed ugly "RECORDING xyz.dm_26" text when recording a demo.
- Added support for orange and grey colors with color codes
democommand no longer requires quotation marks for filenames containing spaces.
- Removed ugly white box flash from some explosion effects.
- Added support for multiple master servers.
- Added ability to offset y-axis of console text feed, which Newmod automatically uses for spectator overlay.
- Fixed some duplicate effects bugs (e.g. seeing seven repeater shots when you only clicked once).
- Fixed jittery, ugly appearance of text at small font sizes.
- Fixed not seeing disruptor shots or tripmine lasers if they originated behind you.
- Fixed some siege textures not producing proper footstep effects.
echocommand not properly preserving colors between spaces.
- Fixed crash when starting local server with widescreen resolution.
- Fixed crash when looking at Ragnos NPC.
- Fixed broken rendering with invalid primitives.
- Fixed connection hijack exploit on malicious servers.
- Fixed rendering of transparent colored/shadowed text.
- Fixed pressing Esc during demo playback causing you to exit to the main menu.
- Malicious servers are prevented from forcing invalid/troll cvars on your client.
- Server list no longer considers colors and non-alphanumeric characters for sorting by name.
- Removed some annoying debug messages that would occasionally pop up on screen while playing.
- Removed the large amount of base JKA console spam that was printed in between maps.
- You can now pause demo playback by setting the "Time Scale" cvar (
- You can now type percent signs and quotation marks into chat.
- The chat box is now limited to the actual maximum number of characters that servers will accept (149 digits). As you approach the maximum, it will display the number of remaining available digits.
- Fixed userinfo cvars not updating while the menus are open (e.g. typing
model reelowith menu open).
- Disabled cinematics.